[Tagging] 10 pin Bowling Alley

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Tue Feb 21 22:19:03 UTC 2017

Javbw
> On Feb 22, 2017, at 5:34 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Why does a bowling alley need its own tag?

For most people, bowling is truly a leisure activity, rather than a sport.
"There is an ashtray built into the bowling equipment".

And for most people, bowling is truly a leisure activity - something done while smoking, drinking, gossiping, playing video games, and hanging out with friends, rather than getting sweaty on a pitch somewhere in a gym or a park.

Here is the chain of bowling centers in Japan:  http://www.round1.co.jp/

Please look at the images on the front page.
For a lot of people bowling is like karaoke.

But I understand semantically why it is a sport.

From a mapping perspective, I think most people think of the building and its many lanes, rather than the people playing a sport. When you think of soccer, you may think of the players running on a pitch, not the building full of alcohol and people eating food.

It is also a giant logical leap for some people thinking of the entertainment center where bowling is often done people as a "sports" center.

I realize it is a sport, played professionally, but more often than not it is a venue for socializing, rather than "sports". Perhaps that is why it is tagged separately initially.