[Tagging] How to tag beginning of a river

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 08:42:31 UTC 2017

On 25-Feb-17 06:10 PM, Stephan Knauss wrote:
> On 25.02.2017 04:28, Dave Swarthout wrote:
>> I'm wondering if it's possible to tag in some meaningful way, the place,
>> usually a node, where a river begins. It seems this would be of interest
>> to people besides myself but I don't think there is currently a way to
>> tag such a place.
>
> This mentions to optionally add a role "spring" for the "spring" node.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:waterway
>
> Is this usable?

Not when the 'source' is another river/stream/creek.
An example is the Styx River, NSW, Australia that starts out from the
Chandler River (two arms that both drain into the Styx).
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/388952003#map=16/-30.7048/152.0522

Where the waterway starts out from a spring .. then yes, it is
appropriate to tag that node as a spring.

If you are a data consumer you could simply find the node at the
beginning ... as the flow direction is taken by the direction of the way.
You would have to check that it is not connected to a waterway of the
same name.