[Tagging] How to tag beginning of a river

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 08:46:47 UTC 2017

>This mentions to optionally add a role "spring" for the "spring" node.

Not in this case. If the stream started at a spring, that is a place where
water comes from the within the earth, that would be fine but the Colville
begins at the place where two smaller streams come together to form a
larger stream. Sometimes this new stream will take the name of one or
another of the small streams from which it derives but often people chose
to name the "new" stream differently and choose a new name, as they did
here.

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Stephan Knauss <osm at stephans-server.de>
wrote:

> On 25.02.2017 04:28, Dave Swarthout wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if it's possible to tag in some meaningful way, the place,
>> usually a node, where a river begins. It seems this would be of interest
>> to people besides myself but I don't think there is currently a way to
>> tag such a place.
>>

> This mentions to optionally add a role "spring" for the "spring" node.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:waterway
>
> Is this usable?
>
> Stephan

Dave Swarthout