[Tagging] Start of a river

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Sun Feb 26 16:04:36 UTC 2017

how about extending the waterway relation with a member role which can
indicate either the "spring" or the "source" in case of a "creation" of
a river by multiple tributary rivers?

Not sure how it would best be called. Source? Origin? Confluence? Is
there a specific hdyrology term for this?

Wikipedia might indicate that "source" is the right word to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confluence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_source

If this is also suitable for a spring, then changing the role spring to
source would do the trick.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:waterway

While you update the wiki: I feel the "tributary" role also deserves to
be documented in the wiki page. It is used nearly 7.000 times.

Stephan