[Tagging] Potential proposal for more detail in old_ref=*?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Feb 27 22:21:57 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 02/27/2017 10:58 PM, yo paseopor wrote:
> I don't know what is your takeaway. I'm a user, I'm a mapper, I'm a man
> who loves the history and I want that all my possible future work and
> the others won't be lost, and will be accessible...forever.

OpenStreetMap is a project with many many people. People disagree often,
and if a project doesn't have good mechanisms to keep disagreements at a
minimum and deal with them when they occur, then the existence of the
whole project can be threatened.

For OpenStreetMap, one key component of "conflict avoidance" is our rule
of on-the-ground verifiability. With some very well defined exceptions
(e.g. administrative boundaries), we only map things that yuo can verify
by going there and looking. So if two people disagree whether the road
is called A or B, you just go there and look at the road sign (or send
someone to look, or check Mapillary or OpenStreetCam if you're lucky).

If you are interested in history then you will know that historic facts
are often only accessible after some research, and often even are the
result of interpretations. Such "facts" are either not verifiable at
all, or verifiable only for experts using external sources (rather than
"going there and looking at it").

Admitting such "facts" would lay the groundwork for endless fights over
what is right. Let's not go there.

Bye
Frederik