[Tagging] Coworking space: amenity vs. office ?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Jan 5 00:05:44 UTC 2017

Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> writes:

> Pro amenity
> ===========
>
> - not all coworking spaces need to be offices, and the current wiki
> definition does not demand this, it just says "where people can work".
>
> Indeed I know a do-it-yourself carpentry where you can bring your wood
> and use the machinery provided to finish your own furniture. Would
> that be a coworking space as well?

That is not a coworking space.  It is a maker space or hobby shop.
There are also places you can brew beer, but those tend to be fee for
service by the hour/batch, rather than a place you belong longer-term.

Arguably, if the coworking space intened to accomodate professional
carpenters who worked for different companies, maybe that would be
coworking.  But really coworking is about something that feels like an
office with coworkers and support services, but is shared by poeple that
work for different companies or are perhaps self-employed.   To me, a
core part of coworking space is that most(?) of the people using it view
it as the physical location of their main employment.

That said, I don't care if coworking is amenity or office.  Arguably
it's an amenity aimed at businesses/consultants, who then have an
office= within the coworking space.    But I think the idea that a hobby
place with shared tools can be called coworking is off base, at least in
the en_US sense of coworking.