[Tagging] Coworking space: amenity vs. office ?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 16:28:56 UTC 2017

> There was a recent wiki [1] edit that triggers me to bring this question
> to the list. Should a coworking space be tagged as an amenity or an office?
>
> Pro office
> ==========
>
> - amenity is overused for anything.
> - coworking space is work-related, office seems to be a good fit.
> - the office key is well-accepted with 264000 uses.
>
> Pro amenity
> ===========
>
> - not all coworking spaces need to be offices, and the current wiki
> definition does not demand this, it just says "where people can work".
>
> Indeed I know a do-it-yourself carpentry where you can bring your wood and
> use the machinery provided to finish your own furniture. Would that be a
> coworking space as well?
>
> Value
> =====
>
> The other change proposed in the wiki was to shorten the value from
> "coworking_space" to just "coworking" when using the office key.
>
> Stats
> =====
>
>  505 amenity=coworking_space
>    1 amenity=coworking
>    2 amenity=coworking_place
>   38 office=coworking
>   24 office=coworking_space
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dcoworking_space

IMHO it should rather be a subtag / property like coworking=yes/only/<kind
of coworking>/etc.

If the only common property of these places is that several people are
working at the same place (together or likely more often parallely), but it
can be a workshop, an office or who knows what, then
amenity=coworking_place/space is not really helpful to describe the
character of the place and office=coworking can be applied only to
office(like) work places, it would not fit on workshops.

Cheers,
Martin