[Tagging] Coworking space: amenity vs. office ?

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 03:58:42 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 8:05 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:

> Arguably, if the coworking space intened to accomodate professional
> carpenters who worked for different companies, maybe that would be
> coworking.  But really coworking is about something that feels like an
> office with coworkers and support services, but is shared by poeple that
> work for different companies or are perhaps self-employed.   To me, a
> core part of coworking space is that most(?) of the people using it view
> it as the physical location of their main employment.

+1

I've visited a couple of coworking spaces in my country and have looked at
websites of several others. Coworking spaces are targeted towards
white-collar office desk jobs, usually for freelancers who are into graphic
design, software development, or other online-based outsourcing jobs.
Students who need a place to study or do projects also go to coworking
spaces. Clients of coworking spaces typically need a desk, Wi-Fi Internet
access, and probably coffee or tea for refreshment. You can typically rent
a desk or a small office space by the month, or just rent a desk for the
day, hot-desking-style.

I can find arguments favoring either amenity=* or office=* so I don't
really care which of the two is used. But I think *=coworking is better
than *=coworking_space since coworking is really tied to the definition of
renting some office desk space in order to study or work. Plus it's shorter
to type.