[Tagging] Wrong use of landuse=village_green - but what else to use?

Ralph Aytoun ralph.aytoun at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 10 00:15:04 UTC 2017

When I was maintaining survey plans the landuse=highway would cover the
extent of the area owned and maintained by the highways agency and not just
the highway itself. This area would include the highways, the soft or hard
shoulders, sidewalks (pavements), roundabouts and islands, central
reservations, the landscaped and lawn areas, the buffer areas, the
trees/shrubs/barriers for soundproofing and the fences/barriers along the
outer perimeter to keep animals and humans off the highway.
Even in the towns the landuse=residential would be islands separated by
landuse=highway, which would include all maintained roads, sidewalks and
adjoining land acquired for the road servitude.
Depicting landuse=highway like this would be cartographically correct and
any features within this road servitude would be tagged accordingly.

Ralph