[Tagging] ref:forward and ref:backward?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 19:06:05 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 12 Jan 2017, at 15:55, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Walking and bicycle routes use the forward and backward roles to describe both directions in one route relation.

It seemed to me that this thread was mainly about road routes where dual-carriageways are quite frequent, but also bicycle route relations are often direction dependent when it comes to the details (side of road, roundabouts, oneway streets).

Forward and backward roles add on complexity and make it much harder to verify the route with common tools. There's no reason the approach with one relation per direction and route master relation should be limited to public transport routes.

cheers,
Martin