[Tagging] Tagging speed camera *zones*

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Mon Jan 16 16:24:53 UTC 2017

What's the best way to tag a speed camera *zone*?

In Ireland, there are several roads which could have a mobile speed
camera van. We have some open data from the government of these roads,
and we'd like to map them in OSM. Ideally satnav apps would tell the
driver that they are on a "possible speed camera van zone" when giving
directions and the like. Many apps show warnings of single point, fixed
speed cameras already.

What's the best way to tag this sort of zone? The type=enforcement
relation[1] seems to be for a fixed camera, and has a simple from
node/to node to mark the area. The single node highway=speed_camera[2]
doesn't apply either.

The UK has many "average speed" zones, which would have the same problem.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:enforcement
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dspeed_camera