[Tagging] shop=fuel

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 20:17:08 UTC 2017

On 19-Jan-17 06:48 AM, Marc Gemis wrote:
> I thought we went through this discussion on sell or vending a couple
> of months ago, where the fear was that we would start "importing" the
> sales catalogue of shops and that it would be very hard to maintain.

Yes. It was I who raised it.

Those who object to such detail don't have to add it, use it ... many won't use certain OSM tags now as they have nothing to do with them.
Some people on that thread requested more and more detail .. so I suggested ways that that could be done.
Then others said that was too much detail ... and there people that wanted the detail dissipated in to the eather.

> A vending machine typically sells 1 type of product, so there it is
> more or less doable.
> Still there will be people who would like to different between the
> types of bread or brands of candy or sodas in vending machines and
> start mapping that as well. Is this what we want ? Or is the current
> level of detail sufficient ?

Detail will get finer as time goes by.

Look at the highway tag ... now has incline, smoothness, surface ...

Progress is not necessarily good for all but will occur. If undirected it may well be uncoordinated.

OSM is now getting 'sells' tags by individual names ... meaning there will be a lot of new tags that will need some thought.

Examples of this are the present fuel, motorcycle and bicycle shops .. all separate sells tags that are individual schemes... little co-ordination.

Consider having each highway type with separate ways of tagging smoothness

motorways have evenness fine to poor

tracks have roughness; very to little

residential have smoothness 0 to 10

That is where shops selling detail is headed.