[Tagging] shop=fuel

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:15:52 UTC 2017

On 20-Jan-17 12:28 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> <mailto:marc.gemis at gmail.com>>:
>
>     But what with the additional parameters: How detailed did I specify
>     the products (do I want a TV or model XYZ from brand ABC) ? I'm a
>     willing to buy a different brand of something to save x kms of travel
>     or euros. Do I need additional assistance to buy a piece of equipment
>     ? Is the quality of the bread/meat/... higher in a certain store etc.
>     etc. Do I want fruit from local producers or is import from the other
>     side of the world ok ?
>
>     Is all this information included in the detail you mention ? Does this
>     information belong in OSM or some other database which can be linked
>     in one way or another with OSM ? Or is all of this needless as we will
>     all be buying all products via the internet within a couple of years ?
>
>     At this moment I fail to see which application can use the additional
>     data.
>

> clearly you explain it: we won't map all kind of objects and their
> availability for sale. This doesn't mean that there's no room for a
> "sells:" tag though. Imagine ice cream. Will you buy it on the
> internet? Is it something people out there walking are interested in?
> Absolutely yes from my experience.
>
> Which are the osm features that tell you in a reliable way if ice
> cream is available? There are some (e.g. amenity=ice_cream), but if
> you rely only on them you'll miss a lot of other places that might be
> equally important in this situation.
>
> There are a few other things that fulfill these criteria (people are
> interested in this ad hoc and while on their way and there are many
> different kind of places where it might be available, but not in all
> places), but it's not an awful lot. E.g. stamps for postcards, top-ups
> for mobile phones etc., public transport tickets, zigarettes, water,
> batteries, ...
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Your going on a trip from some place you have never been to .. to
another place you have never been too ... and it will take some weeks.
You know that there are few people along the way.
At what points along the way will you be able to buy;

fuel for your vehicle with a RON over 90
milk
bread
vegetables
fruit
meat
??

I know people who have a preference for a particular brand of contact
lens stuff ... and they travel to many unusual places around the world.
Oh and Nutella. If you want to know where you can get those things ..
you ask her. :)
I know of people whose trip plans include tyre replacements, servicing
(oil and filters as a minimum) ... For these people sells would be usefull.

What mappers want to add to that basic detail I have no idea. There is
no way to prevent them adding that detail no matter how strongly you or
I object to it. A 'sells' key add a common starting point that covers
shops of all kinds rather than preceding along the way of each shop type
having its own individual scheme. Each scheme can add the detail that
you object to...  each scheme will probably be different from the next
shop scheme ... do you want that diversity or some commonality?

I would like to see a 'sells' scheme that shares the same scheme as
'produce' and 'product' - make them at least similar and people will
come to understand them with less trouble.