[Tagging] advertising

Paul Desgranges paul.desgranges at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 12:59:26 UTC 2017

Hello all,

This mail to launch some discussions on advertising
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:advertising> tag. <page>

I have personnaly been slowly working on this tag during the last two
years, with the idea that at the end, if we could have advertising
devices properly specified in OSM, and one day all advertising devices
stored in OSM, it could bring the necessary tools and information to
citizens to have some control on advertisings in the public space...

So I spent time on discussing with and presenting to different kinds of
people, specifying, prototyping and experimenting ways of mapping
advertising devices <http://pdfext.github.io/OSM/advertising/> on OSM,
and then, after these design steps, I performed during the last 6 months
many little addings and changes on advertising wiki pages. These addings
were done without discussing them with "tagging" list  (except one), and
I received recently (only recently) an indignant mail from someone
exposing that all these new points should never have been commited to
OSM wiki without being discussed and approved first by OSM community. He
is right. I recognize my clumsiness, hope it is not too late to have
these discussions, not to late to find a consensus and decide of what
can be kept and what can be improved. So I wish we can start from now on
'tagging' list several little threads on advertising tags... Depending
on results of threads discussions, what is not commonly shared and
accepted will be removed or changed, so that the way of mapping
advertising devices is improved at the end. If this overall work can be
done slowly by surely during 2017, that could be fine.

So I will try to animate one first thread and see how it goes... There
are many things to discuss...

This first thread can be for example related to the way the advertising
devices are supported <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:support>.

I ll start this first thread next week to take into account your
potential returns on this preliminary introduction mail first, if any.

Thank you

Paul