[Tagging] shop=fuel

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 06:00:51 UTC 2017

John mentions LNG in his reply. I'm not sure if Liquid Natural Gas is used
as a motor fuel here in Thailand but they do sell Compressed Natural Gas or
CNG. Both fuels are composed of methane gas. LNG is compressed to the point
that the methane liquifies and therefore requires cryogenically insulated
containers to transport and store it. The CNG is highly compressed as well
but not to the point of liquefaction. Special heavy tanks are needed to
transport and store CNG because the internal pressure is near 3500 PSI. LPG
is liquid propane gas. Propane is a much heavier molecule than methane and
does not require cryogenic containers like either of its cousins LNG and
CNG.

IMO the shop=fuel tag would not be suitable for these fueling stations.
They would best be tagged with amenity=fuel with subtags fuel:cng=yes or
fuel:lng=yes and in the case of LPG, with fuel:lpg=yes. The difference
between places selling LPG as a motor fuel and those selling LPG for use as
a cooking fuel is that the former would be tagged as an amenity and the
latter as a shop for the same reasons we distinguish such end uses in the
original fuel shop proposition.

LPG stations that service vehicles are never "mom and pop" operations but
rather complex pumping and storage systems similar to those selling LNG and
CNG, that are designed to quickly deliver large volumes of fuel for
refilling the tanks on large vehicles.

--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska