[Tagging] highway=services & "Road Stations" - subtag requested.

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Jan 26 01:34:33 UTC 2017

> On Jan 26, 2017, at 12:45 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
>  Usually just a vending machine in a cage and some overused, under-maintained toilets and lots of parking.

yea, i’m more familiar with the view points (Interstate 5 near camp Pendleton) and that style of crap rest area near Castaic lake. Maybe the map stop on interstate 8 as you come into san diego. I have driven 300,000 miles in California, and those are the 3 I can name.  they are usually barren dirty places you stop at only if you have to. all the SA/PA/ road stations are places you hope you can stop at here in Japan. They are usually very nice.

I have stopped at 20 different SA/PA in Japan in the last month. I have been to.. 15 road stations (?) in 5 years. They are so different.

> On Jan 25, 2017, at 11:08 PM, tomoya muramoto <muramototomoya at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I just think Michi-no-eki is not "highway=*" category

The Road stations are specifically made for driving tourists in the same manner as an SA/PA, so they are in the same category.

Both SA and PA are in the road space, as should road stations.

The wiki for rest_area shows some lonely picnic benches - not a row of shops selling food and souvenirs. the

The new PA (a rest area) on the Kita-kanto is this: a little bit of grass, a vending machine, and a nice toilets.

I would never consider the two road stations I linked to in the same class: 2 restaurants, a motorcycle museum, a souvenir shop, etc.

Maybe this is because there is such a huge disparity between a rest_area in the US and a nice road station.

The rest_area wiki page:

> Some are set further back in the form of short loops of service road, and may feature mobile fast food outlets, toilets etc.

To me, the presence of shops and amenities vs a lonely toilet is a big difference,  But t seems that gasoline is the dividing line between =services and =rest_area.

perhaps the combination of:

highway=rest_area
+
retail=road_station