[Tagging] highway=services & "Road Stations" - subtag requested.

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 07:53:11 UTC 2017

On 26-Jan-17 12:34 PM, John Willis wrote:

>> On Jan 26, 2017, at 12:45 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org
>> <mailto:baloo at ursamundi.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Usually just a vending machine in a cage and some overused,
>> under-maintained toilets and lots of parking.
>

> yea, i’m more familiar with the view points (Interstate 5 near camp
> Pendleton) and that style of crap rest area near Castaic lake. Maybe
> the map stop on interstate 8 as you come into san diego. I have driven
> 300,000 miles in California, and those are the 3 I can name.  they are
> usually barren dirty places you stop at only if you have to. all the
> SA/PA/ road stations are places you hope you can stop at here in
> Japan. They are usually very nice.

'Rest Areas' in Australia are variable .. some have toilets. All have an
area to pull off the main road. Very few have bins. Fewer still have water.
Where there is no formal toilet you can expect to find random places
used as toilets ... and some of these allow the used toilet paper to
blow around.
Entering a 'rest area' is done with preparation to keep going without
stopping.
Some people have marked these 'rest areas' as camp sites in OSM ... I
would never stop at such a place, ok for RV and caravans where you can
lock the outside out, but camping, never.