[Tagging] highway=services & "Road Stations" - subtag requested.

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri Jan 27 10:22:21 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 7:34 PM, John Willis <johnw at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2017, at 12:45 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
>  Usually just a vending machine in a cage and some overused,
> under-maintained toilets and lots of parking.
>

> yea, i’m more familiar with the view points (Interstate 5 near camp
> Pendleton) and that style of crap rest area near Castaic lake. Maybe the
> map stop on interstate 8 as you come into san diego. I have driven 300,000
> miles in California, and those are the 3 I can name.  they are usually
> barren dirty places you stop at only if you have to.

I wouldn't say that's *typical* of CalTrans rest areas to be that horrible.
 Randolph Collier
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=41.8532&mlon=-122.5724#map=16/41.8532/-122.5724&layers=G>
seems
like it may have been a small state park with campground at one point, it's
quite nice.  Solano Westbound
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=38.2294&mlon=-122.1176#map=15/38.2295/-122.1176&layers=G>
is
a little bit of a dirty trick, though.  If you're in the middle of a
transcontinental drive and heavily loaded, you're going to have to stop
there because you probably need to let the engine cool off a bit after the
long climb up from the California Valley to the east; good taco truck,
understandably rekt restrooms, in no small part of being in the middle of
the suburbs of an unbelievably spread out metropolis.  You can see all the
way to the Pacific Ocean from there, so worth stopping if you haven't made
the trip, even if you don't need the restroom.  Westley
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=37.5815&mlon=-121.3232#map=14/37.5815/-121.3232&layers=G>
is also a good one.

Castaic sucks.  I don't know what is with the maintenance at that one, but
it's uncharacteristically bad for CalTrans rest areas (and granted, I have
a low expectation).  You're better off stopping at the truck stops in
Gorman or continuing to the truck stops in actual Castaic Lake.  Though I
would tend to lean towards truck stops being a form of service plaza, since
they tend to be functionally identical to the turnpike ones except for
lacking their own dedicated motorway ramps.

> all the SA/PA/ road stations are places you hope you can stop at here in
> Japan. They are usually very nice.

I have stopped at 20 different SA/PA in Japan in the last month. I have
> been to.. 15 road stations (?) in 5 years. They are so different.

I'm literally drawing a blank on this relative to a (very small, maybe
equivalent to a 1950's-era North American tourist-trap type) truck/travel
stop.

> On Jan 25, 2017, at 11:08 PM, tomoya muramoto <muramototomoya at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> I just think Michi-no-eki is not "highway=*" category
>

> The Road stations are specifically made for driving tourists in the same
> manner as an SA/PA, so they are in the same category.
>
> Both SA and PA are in the road space, as should road stations.
>

> The wiki for rest_area shows some lonely picnic benches - not a row of
> shops selling food and souvenirs. the
>
> The new PA (a rest area) on the Kita-kanto is this: a little bit of grass,
> a vending machine, and a nice toilets.

Easy enough.  highway=rest_area toilets=yes/no

> I would never consider the two road stations I linked to in the same
> class: 2 restaurants, a motorcycle museum, a souvenir shop, etc.
>
> Maybe this is because there is such a huge disparity between a rest_area
> in the US and a nice road station

In my mind based on this thread, I'd be inclined to tag a road station as
highway=services

> The rest_area wiki page:
>
> Some are set further back in the form of short loops of service road, and
> may feature mobile fast food outlets, toilets etc.
>

> To me, the presence of shops and amenities vs a lonely toilet is a big
> difference,  But t seems that gasoline is the dividing line between
> =services and =rest_area.
>
> perhaps the combination of:
>
> highway=rest_area
> +
> retail=road_station
>
> is a good solution.

Maybe highway=services retail=road_station .  My understanding of a rest
area would leave me quite surprised to find more than a parking area and
maybe a toilet, likewise, if I were looking for a service area, I wouldn't
think to search rest areas.