[Tagging] definition of the key "office"

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 23:18:56 UTC 2017

On 06-Jul-17 09:58 PM, Martin Koppenhöfer wrote:

>> On 6 Jul 2017, at 13:33, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> - employment_agency
>> Some people (the public) go to employment agencies to seek employment.
>
> doubtlessly. Is it similar to a “shop”? Do they “sell a service”? It will depend on the kind of agency (e.g. in Germany, you won’t have to pay for the services that the government run employment agency provide).

Here the discussion is about the definition of shop?

Most shops sell a physical item e.g. a car, some fruit

Few shops sell a service e.g. hairdresser, tattoo. Here I think they sell a service that results in some physical change - so there is some manual work done.

Offices sell a service too. The difference between an office and a shop might be the problem?

>>> - newspaper (ok, might be disputable)
>> Yep. Some go to place advertisements, reprints of old editions/photos
>

> sure, but is it the main purpose of a newspaper office?

It is the main purpose of the 'office' I am thinking of.
What kind of thing are you thinking of?

> Do you pay for the service provided at the office, or do you pay for the advertisement actually being printed and distributed (i.e. something not done in the office)? Compare it to an advocate or travel agent.

An advertisement is purchased at a newspaper office - results in advertisement appearing in the newspaper sold at various locations.

A plane ticket purchased at a travel agent office - results in a trip on a plane from one location to another.

Both services are purchased at the office, but the resulting service is performed elsewhere.

> IMHO, this list is a lot of apples and pears, and the title (definition) is not a good fit.

Apples? What kind of apple? Granny Smiths are different from most kinds of apples .. they are green to start with.
there are lots of differences between things .. how close you look determines how hard you have to distinguish between them.
If all shops/offices were the same the world would be a boring place.

The OSM shop definition is equally poor.
And that leads to funeral directors - are they a shop or an office? Presently OSM classified as a shop.