[Tagging] definition of the key "office"

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Fri Jul 7 06:36:01 UTC 2017

> On Jul 7, 2017, at 9:10 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> charity office, a government office, the office of an ngo, the office of an association, etc., they don't sell a service,

I think in he strictest of terms, they do - the embassy offers passport and visa services, an NGO offers aid coordination, an association handles logistics for members - but a better definition might be office where services are *performed* and offices where a business or service is administered or “managed”.

To me personally, people confuse:

- the office as a physical structure
- the office as a “white collar” shop: a lawyer or clerk or consultant who offered his services.
- the administration section of a larger company: Apple’s HQ in Silicon Valley is where they manage all aspects of their business if manufacturing their devices in China.
- a (government) service that is “public facing” but not represented by the narrow tagging system: we have court house and DMV, but not “federal building” or pension_office or other civic_admin offices.

My landuse Civic_Admin is (surprisingly) in de facto use because people want to separate government services from commercial ones (a public pension office from a private lawyer’s office), but we need to separate out “customer facing service offices” from “private managerial offices” - Offices of a newspaper, a car manufacturer, etc - as well.

I know the government part is easy where to draw the line, but the line separating “service” from “management” is difficult to see, but it might be necessary to make some arbitrary decisions to aid in making a more understandable and narrow office=* key to more accurately tag things.

Javbw.