[Tagging] key trees

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Tue Jul 11 03:34:27 UTC 2017

I might be wrong, but there seemed to be a big push a while back to make “landuse=farmland” take over any land where stuff is grown and have crop=* handle what is physically there and the produces=* tag handle what is harvested. A lot of the grapes grown in my area are on horizontal steel trellis’ in plastic greenhouses (landuse=greenhouse_horticulture) - grown for sale in bunches (they are really expensive), and don’t look anything like a California nor Japanese “vineyard” with grapes in big long rows outdoors on vertical supports - nor a basic dirt farm field.

Rice fields are flooded, are named and special here in Japan (tanbo: 田んぼ), with the extremely common kanji “ta” 田 representing a rice field - I suppose this is true elsewhere in Asia.  Perhaps some cultures would have a special word or crop that is treated differently than all others That is “just another crop” elsewhere, like rice is here. Making everything that grows plants for food or processed plant products (cotton) has its merits. Being able to tag everything under the same landuse idea (farmland) and then add additional tags to say what is on the land, what grows on it, and what it makes: greenhouse=yes, trellis=* netting=* crop=* produces=* is nice. Most commercial apple and pear orchards here have retractable netting that goes over an entire orchard, it would be nice to tag it somehow.

But this runs counter to tagging things in a way that makes it fit into English words for new tagger friendliness (orchard / vineyard /  etc) and the idea of “duck tagging (tag an orchard as an orchard), so I think both systems are in use at the same time and adaptable enough for any situation - I wouldn’t call the few greenhouses trapped between a trunk road and a train road a “vineyard” - and the large swaths of California or North of Mt Fuji are most certainly “vineyards”, regardless of what the grapes are used for.

With increased uses of tagging presets in iD, this might be come a moot point.

Javbw