[Tagging] key trees

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 13:26:38 UTC 2017

> Hi,
>
> According to the OSMwiki the key tree;

please give a link, I couldn't find a key "tree". There is the key "trees",
which I guess is what you are writing about.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:trees

> 1) is to be used for plants ... that would include shrubs and grasses.

according to the wiki it is about the "trees and plants _in an orchard_",
not about "plants" in general

> 2) is to be used to define what is growing in an orchard.

see 1)

> I would suggest it would be better
> If this is only for use with the key landuse=orchard then a sub key such
> as orchard=berry_tree, * would be better?

-1, the key is well introduced, if you want to fiddle with this, please
make a new proposal, but it doesn't seem semantically better to me using a
tree species as orchard subclass, while you could better (like it is
already done) add a tree species indication to a key named "trees".

Cheers,
Martin