[Tagging] Combined use of addr:place and addr:street

Tobias Wrede list at tobias-wrede.de
Fri Jul 14 08:16:24 UTC 2017

For what it's worth answering a bit late. I am not sure I completely agree.

<mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com>>:

    I agree with you, either use
    addr:place

    or use
    addr:street

    As the reason for using addr:place is that there isn't a street to
    which the address refers, I also don't see which street should go
    into addr:street, it makes no sense.

Have a look at this place "Siesel":
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.22209/7.90369. The hamlet is
called Siesel and officially all the streets there do not have a name
(you can check on the "NRW-Atlas: ALKIS" layer  that all streets are
just designated "Weg" i. e. "Street"). From an official address point of
view all houses there should have addr:place=Siesel and
addr:housenumber=nn. On the ground, tough, they have put up the usual
German street name signs all showing "Siesel". So from an on the ground
point of view all houses there should have addr:street=Siesel and
addr:housenumber=nn. What to do now? I would say that in this case we
could perfectly well have both addr:place and addr:street.

I agree this is borderline but I don't see why we should categorically
refuse to have both tags.

Note that I just searched my mind for a case where this could happen.
The actual tagging here is just using the addr:street.

Tobi