[Tagging] Formally informal sidewalks

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 06:13:22 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 11:56 PM, John Willis <johnw at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2017, at 11:32 PM, Nick Bolten <nbolten at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> --> need to add all driveways?
>
> This is generally a good idea - and to make sure they share a node.

Why ? What is the benefit of adding driveways of 3-5 meters long ?
I experimented with it in my neighborhood and the only thing it does
is confuse navigation programs. My neighbour's driveway is longer than
mine (it's a company) and now OsmAnd insists on taking his, because it
comes closer to my house.

> To me, if you are considering adding sidewalks, you’ve already committed to
> adding the service roads/tracks/etc.

I think adding sidewalks might benefit pedestrian routing, and makes
it somewhat easier to add characteristics for wheelchair routing to
them. I only added driveways when I thought it might be useful for
routing (e.g house is not near main roads so routing needs some help
to properly work).

regards