[Tagging] Formally informal sidewalks

Nick Bolten nbolten at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 14:01:01 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017, 1:55 PM marc marc <marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com> wrote:

> All crossing between a sidewalk and a driveways I have tag have the same
> type of kerb on each side. It's why I use kerb=lowered without any need
> for left/right details, it is for the whole crossing.

I think I'm confused again: is the kerb key being used on the node shared
by the street and driveway, or the one shared by the driveway and sidewalk,
or both? Or are you describing a different situation?

Therefore I never needed to ask myself how I tag a useless mixed layout
> A crossing with a raised kerb on one side and a lowered kerb on the
> other side is as unusable for wheelchair as if it was raised on both sides.

Not true! Some wheelchair users are happy to go down a raised curb but not
up one, or will cross all raised curbs below a specific height. There are
also non-wheelchair users with similar requirements.

For a T crossing (one street and a sidewalk), maybe kerb=raised because
> feature is the same (forget the lowered side as it is useless) I agree it
> is not perfect, this crossing also :-) But currently it is the only way to
> have a full working routing between 2 sidewalk hoocked to a way.

I'm having trouble visualizing this - maybe an example or diagram would
help?

Best,

Nick