[Tagging] Meaning of cycleway=no

Wiktor Niesiobedzki osm at vink.pl
Wed Jul 19 07:56:01 UTC 2017

> "cycleway=no" on a highway=XX object means that the road has no cycleway
> associated with it, i.e. none of the values
> cycleway=yes|both|left|right|lnane|...
> To my knowledge the "no" value is not documented. The tag cycleway=no is
> often applied by ID users and has nesarly 200000 uses.

I did some digging in some examples I have identified in Poland. Looks
like all of the ones, that I look at where created by Potlatch...

Looking at: https://github.com/openstreetmap/potlatch2/blob/233799c18c25b0f6aeec8c99c603ea9e02afa1d9/resources/map_features.xml

It looks like when describing the road, when user selects "no bike
lanes" this will result in setting cycleway=no. I don't see any way to
set cycleway=no on highway=cycleway though.

Cheers,

Wiktor