[Tagging] Beautified JSON presets for natural=tree

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 22 20:20:36 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 08:51:16PM +0200, Simon Poole wrote:

> On 22.07.2017 20:28, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> >
> > Can you expand and clarify your comment for me?
> >

> Just as I wrote, and nothing that I invented, it is considered
>
> a) good practice to tag source on the changeset. Which in turn implies
> that if you are using more than one third party data source and it is
> not clear what you have been deriving from which source, you should be
> creating separate changesets.
> b) there are some limited exceptions which are typically name spaced
> source keys.

The trouble is that is that it doesn't work. I always include a fairly
comprehensive list of sources on changesets, but *need* individual
source tags on objects. Otherwise, subsequent mappers come along with far
inferior information and wipe out my many hours/days/years of careful
work on the ground.

I used not to use source tags on objects, but bitter experience as above
shows that source tags are *necessary* to indicate: "please don't modify
unless you have better information". It is usually armchair mappers
who tend to run roughshod over existing carefully mapped data, often
using outdated imagery.

ael