[Tagging] source tag on object <> changeset

ralph.aytoun at ntlworld.com ralph.aytoun at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 25 07:01:01 UTC 2017

Hi marc,

I am one that checks both the source and the history of changes to understand why a features was created and from where.

JOSM does already have a history and can be accessed by selecting the feature then holding down the Ctrl key and pressing h. The history comes up in a separate window with the changesets as well.

Source tags are very useful especially if done correctly. I rate a GPS, Field Survey or Local Knowledge quite high because it means someone has actually been there and seen it. I add the date of my visit to a place in my changeset comment for that reason. It also helps to identify how old my knowledge is. The date of change I can also get from Ctrl + h. The background imagery (Bing) can be anything up to 6 years old in many places and at best about 2 years old so it is not reliable for up-to-date information.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10