[Tagging] Names containing abbreviations that are the official name

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Jul 26 10:18:19 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> Saint Paul - but that certainly is an exception.
>
> I was using a garmin gps device to navigate about 4 years ago. As I
> entered Mount Vernon, WA the voice called it Mountain Vernon.
>
> Albert Pundt suggestion to use offical_name or name_official would help.
> But keeping with OSM ground truth, we could use the official name, for
> example name='St. Louis' and name_full='Saint Louis' for pronunciation.

Is expanding abbreviations really inconsistent with the ground truth?
Kinda thought this was long since settled as "no, it is not inconsistent,
and is preferable to using abbreviations
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names#Abbreviation_.28don.27t_do_it.29>"
and perhaps the abbreviation should be in "short_name" instead.