[Tagging] Names containing abbreviations that are the official name

Michal Fabík michal.fabik at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 10:49:14 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:24 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:
> name='St. Louis' and name_full='Saint Louis' for pronunciation.

Hi,
speaking of pronunciation, I was thinking about this too. In Czechia,
we have many cases of official street names containing abbreviations
and sometimes numbers, such as "Charles IV. sq.". Obviously, this
won't work with text-to-speech software any time soon, so my satnav
will either spell out the letters (Charles eye vee [pause] es queue
[pause]) or attempt to pronounce them as words, resulting in
gibberish.

Another example are street names like "2. korpusa Armije BiH" (a
street dedicated to the 2nd Corps of the Bosnian army) which is all in
genitive case, literally "of the 2nd Corps of the Army of Bosnia and
Herzegovina", the word "Ulica" (Street) is not always included, even
in official usage (cadastre etc.). The TTS software probably knows
that "2" stands for "dva" ("two"), it might know that "2." stands for
"drugi" ("second"), it might even know that "BiH" stands for "Bosna i
Hercegovina", but unless it actually understands the language, it has
no way of telling that the whole thing stands for "Drugog korpusa
Armije Bosne i Hercegovine" (genitive case) and not "Drugi korpusa
Armije Bosna i Hercegovina", a grammatical nonsense.

Couldn't we simply use something along the lines of "name:tts=charles
the fourth square", or name:tts="drugog korpusa armije bosne i
hercegovine" with everything in full?"

I was discussing this with Janko Mihelić the other day, maybe he has
more examples / use cases to add.

Regards,

--
Michal Fabík