[Tagging] Names containing abbreviations that are the official name

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Fri Jul 28 14:30:29 UTC 2017

On 28.07.2017 11:39, Adam Snape wrote:
> On 27 July 2017 at 21:20, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org <mailto:t.pfeifer at computer.org>> wrot
>

>     There are pronunciation dictionaries for different languages, which are not thicker than
>     spelling dictionaries. In electronic form they would measure in kilobytes, and be included in
>     the dozens of megabytes a TTS engine comes with, for each language module. So the correct
>     spelling of common geonames as Edinburgh should be an easy exercise
>

>   I was just using Edinburgh as an example most English speakers are familiar with. Whilst I would
> expect software to be familiar with major cities like Edinburgh it is much more unlikely to be able
> to deal with the pronunciation of all the smaller named objects in OSM. A means of tagging
> pronunciation, where this is not obvious from the spelling would be a useful addition to osm.

I was just bashing commercial TTS for their ignorance.

I agree that tagging pronunciation is a good thing for unusual situations, and the examples that
were cited before already use the IPA [1], which would be my recommendation as well.

tom

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet