[Tagging] Names containing abbreviations that are the official name

Adam Snape adam.c.snape at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 09:39:04 UTC 2017

On 27 July 2017 at 21:20, Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrot

> There are pronunciation dictionaries for different languages, which are
> not thicker than spelling dictionaries. In electronic form they would
> measure in kilobytes, and be included in the dozens of megabytes a TTS
> engine comes with, for each language module. So the correct spelling of
> common geonames as Edinburgh should be an easy exercise

 I was just using Edinburgh as an example most English speakers are
familiar with. Whilst I would expect software to be familiar with major
cities like Edinburgh it is much more unlikely to be able to deal with the
pronunciation of all the smaller named objects in OSM. A means of tagging
pronunciation, where this is not obvious from the spelling would be a
useful addition to osm.