[Tagging] Produce tags for orchards

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Sat Jul 29 18:27:04 UTC 2017

On Saturday 29 July 2017, Tobias Zwick wrote:
> Thanks for your answers. It looks like it is pretty clear what is the
> currently accepted tag for orchards then. As for the difference
> between orchard and farmland - ignoring plantation for its missing
> documentation and very rare use -, we identified the following key
> differences between orchard and farmland which should be very clear:
>
> - In an orchard, plants are cultivated which are perennial, the
> plants have continuance. Usually only the fruit of the plants are
> picked. From satellite imagery, orchards usually appear as
> systematically planted bushes/trees or rows of hedges separated by
> corridors (for machines/workers)
>
> - Farmland grows plants that are harvested as a whole (i.e. with
>   tractors), thus the actual crop can change during the years and
>   even several times within a year (see crop rotation) as after the
>   harvest, nothing is left from the plant. On satellite imagery,
>   they usually appear as an acre, meadow (when fallow) or densely
>   planted high grass/cereals.

That is not really the current use of these tags.  Tea plantations are
for example quite universally tagged landuse=farmland and not
landuse=orchard.  Same for strawberries i think.

The practiced use is orchard is mostly for woody, permanent plants
(trees or scrubs) grown for their fruits/nuts.  This is in individual
cases (like cork) extended to trees grown for other purposes but not
for forestry.  Notable exception is grapes (which is not currently
documented as an exception on the tag page for landuse=orchard by the
way).

> Moving forward, would anyone think that "produce" is definitely the
> wrong key to use for detailing on the produce/crop/type of orchards?
> (I am not rallying to make the other two keys deprecated here, this
> is just about which of the three keys the app should use to add a
> tag.)

The wiki currently suggests tagging trees=* and optionally produce=*.  I
think that is a good idea.  Given the current use of tags i would
suggest not to recommend not to tag trees=* without community consensus
to abolish this tag.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/