[Tagging] Produce tags for orchards

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 23:11:08 UTC 2017

On 30-Jul-17 12:04 AM, Tobias Zwick wrote:
> Thanks for your answers. It looks like it is pretty clear what is the
> currently accepted tag for orchards then. As for the difference between
> orchard and farmland - ignoring plantation for its missing documentation
> and very rare use -, we identified the following key differences between
> orchard and farmland which should be very clear:
>
> - In an orchard, plants are cultivated which are perennial, the plants
>    have continuance. Usually only the fruit of the plants are picked.
>    From satellite imagery, orchards usually appear as systematically
>    planted bushes/trees or rows of hedges separated by corridors (for
>    machines/workers)
>
> - Farmland grows plants that are harvested as a whole (i.e. with
>    tractors), thus the actual crop can change during the years and
>    even several times within a year (see crop rotation) as after the
>    harvest, nothing is left from the plant. On satellite imagery,
>    they usually appear as an acre, meadow (when fallow) or densely
>    planted high grass/cereals.

Some orchards are harvested using tractors too...  so that is not a deciding factor of orchard to farmland.

Crop rotation can be tagged using multiple values

e.g. produce=wheat;barley Farmers will follow market trends compatible with their equipment and farm soil/climate .. fairly consistent choices for them.

> Apart from that, I generally agree with those that answered that they
> would prefer "produce" - for the same reasons. Especially for things
> like oil_palms, banana_plants, coffee_plants, vanilla_plants, the
> various types of berries etc. the "trees" key does not really fit.
>
> Moving forward, would anyone think that "produce" is definitely the
> wrong key to use for detailing on the produce/crop/type of orchards? (I
> am not rallying to make the other two keys deprecated here, this is just
> about which of the three keys the app should use to add a tag.)

The keys 'tree' and 'crop' are not universal to the output of 'farms' eg oysters, where as the key 'produce' looks to be universal.

The key 'tree' is being misused to tag things that are not trees e.g. strawberry plants.

A mapper sees plants in a field and they are worth mapping.
But in terms of what comes out the farm gate, the produce key is best.

> Greetings
> Tobias
>
> P.S: Here is a list of different types of produce (of orchards aka
> plantations) we identified. Currently mostly "translated" to the
> "trees"-tagging:
> https://github.com/rugk/crops-parser/blob/master/osmcrops.csv

The list is for the key 'crop'.

And it contains some that could be better - e.g.  crop=walnut_trees ... the tree is not the crop/produce.

It may be possible to have a more structured approach as the table hints at with crop=nut.

For example

produce=nut

nut=walnut

produce=vegetable

vegetable=tomato

The OSMwiki page on produce has some more thoughts .. (at least some are mine - use with caution!)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:produce