[Tagging] dispersed settlements / scattered settlements

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 09:00:38 UTC 2017

If the land is not used for agriculture but for residences then 

Most of the land is used for agriculture? Then landuse=farmland.

Where the land between the buildings is used for both .. I'd map it 
landuse=farmland. And then

where a residence occurs - map the building, building=residential. Most 
of the time mappers may have little time to give to these things though 
and armchair mappers will be stuck with building=yes..

When does a wide spread village become dispersed_residential? Sorry but 
the determination from one to the other will need to be made, and that 
may well be country/culture specific.

The 'place' tag does not nominate the landuse, it is really just the 
size, importance and name of an area.

On 15-Jun-17 02:29 PM, Vao Matua wrote:
> Here in Ethopia most of the population lives in a rural setting.  
> Sometimes dwellings are grouped into villages, but other areas are 
> more dispersed. Here is an example of a residential agriculture area
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/6.93275/38.42255
> A landuse= tag of Dispersed_Residential or Residential_Agriculture 
> would be helpful and more useful than place=locality or 
> place=isolated_dwelling
> Emmor
> OSM= Palolo

More information about the Tagging mailing list