[Tagging] dispersed settlements / scattered settlements

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 09:45:24 UTC 2017

On 16-Jun-17 06:04 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 16. Jun 2017, at 09:42, Javier Sánchez Portero <javiersanp at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Any of the two proposals, a new tag or change place=locality, will be fine.
>
> I'm strongly opposing changing locality to be used for settlements as well.

+1. Means past tagging is less specific.

Possibly a new place value? Dispersed or scattered? I think dispersed is better.

However .. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Chadwell-St-Mary is described as a 'dispersed settlement' when it does not appear to be what is meant by the posts here.

This is a concern of mine .. there_needs_  to be a_good_  definition of what a 'dispersed place' is .. not just some words that could be stretched or shrunk to mean things unintended. .

Those who want this will need to figure out what is a minimum and a maximum ... Possibly? something like?

A minimum of 10 residential dwellings each separated from the others by at least 500 meters, with a maximum overall area of 5 square kilometres

Then if the place in question does not reach;

the minimum then the collection is a hamlet, or

the maximum then they are separate isolated dwellings or farms.