[Tagging] dispersed settlements / scattered settlements

ralph.aytoun at ntlworld.com ralph.aytoun at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 17 10:54:01 UTC 2017

>> A place=* does not just consist of a small built up area with it’s church, shop and community centre, it >>usually includes a certain amount of greenbelt and rural area surrounding that as well.

>that's not the place=city/town/village/hamlet etc. but the administrative territorial entity (every spot is part >of an administrative entity, but not necessarily part of a settlement)

Sorry if I confused the issue, I am trying to show that landuse=* tags should not be used for this purpose.

 The point I was making is that communities, settlements and the like also conform to similar models. While it is cartographically correct to place the name of a village, hamlet, settlement, community, indicating the cluster of buildings that make up the centre of that community it refers to all it’s components (the cluster of buildings, the cattle enclosures, the worked lands around it) and that cannot be indicated by a landuse=* tag as it’s area. By all means use a  node to give the status and name if the full extent of the area is unknown or if you want the name to be positioned at the settlement but please do not to attach the name to the landuse polygon.

For example, where you have a farm lets say it’s name is XYZ. The name may be positioned next to the cluster of residential buildings, barns and workhouses (landuse=farmyard) but the name would refer to the whole extent of the farm. So this would include landuse=farmyard, landuse=farmlands, landuse=orchards, landuse=meadow and so on. My point that the tag name=* should not be attached to a landuse polygon because it does not just indicate a single landuse.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> A place=* does not just consist of a small built up area with it’s church, shop and community centre, it usually includes a certain amount of greenbelt and rural area surrounding that as well.

that's not the place=city/town/village/hamlet etc. but the administrative territorial entity (every spot is part of an administrative entity, but not necessarily part of a settlement)

cheers,
Martin