[Tagging] dispersed settlements / scattered settlements

Joachim noreply at freedom-x.de
Sun Jun 18 15:44:14 UTC 2017

I agree that landuse should usually get no names.

If a settlement has a name which is used only for administrative or
postal purposes there is no need for a place=* feature, just use
boundary=administrative/postal_code.

If the dispersed settlement is perceived as an settlement (I'm living
in...) it should get a place=* element.

Currently we categorize settlements by number of inhabitants, modified
by importance. I would rather not open another dimension. The type of
of a settlement can be deduced by processing the landuse inside. If
there is use in a binary (yes/no) property it should be added to the
place=* feature: e.g. dispersed_settlement=yes. But this looks more
like job for Wikidata.

Another big problem is the exclusive usage of settlement place as
nodes. But dispersed settlements have no centre. I just drafted an
article which presents solutions for settlements with centres. This
would allow dispersed settlements to migrate from place node to area
since they would not considered be problematic any more. All is
detailed here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/place_areas