[Tagging] Services provided by a travel agency

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 22:13:07 UTC 2017

I won't disagree with you about shop=tourism as no, I've never heard of a
tourism shop either (& we live in a tourist-oriented area)!

Maybe it's another term that doesn't translate internationally, but here in
Australia at least, "travel agencies" don't handle day-to-day tourist
matters like boat rides, walking tours etc either. Travel agencies are
where you sit down with a travel agent a few months prior to leaving on
your trip, to plan your itinerary, work out which flights you need to catch
& book them, book your cabin on a cruise ship etc.

We do have tourism information centres, where they hold stocks of brochures
etc telling tourists what attractions there are in the area, what the
opening hours of the local museum are & so on, but, once again, they don't
usually book ferry rides, tours & so on - that's left up to the tourist to
do either online or by phone?

I don't know what you would call the type of "shop" that Volker originally
described, but maybe tourism=information woud cover it?

Thanks

Graeme