[Tagging] Services provided by a travel agency

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 15:09:48 UTC 2017

sent from a phone

> On 28. Jun 2017, at 23:46, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There is a tag for bicycle rental: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dbicycle_rental.

+1, although this will probably not lead to a compatibile tagging scheme, because I'd expect many of the things in the amenity key .

> Maybe just shop=tourism together with that?

don't like this tag, IMHO too generic, not well distinguishable from travel agencies, no clear meaning (ever heard someone saying: I'm going to the tourist shop? What would you think if you heard this? I would likely ask 'where?'). It isn't really a category (of what they sell) rather than a category for whom it is (i.e. it can be used to disqualify a shop as "mostly for tourists " (locals who know the situation won't go there), but not to qualify the kind of things they offer).

Cheers,
Martin