[Tagging] how to map simple buildings

"Christian Müller" cmue81 at gmx.de
Thu Mar 2 23:43:31 UTC 2017

> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 02. März 2017 um 17:19 Uhr
> Von: "Martin Koppenhoefer" <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> An: "Christian Müller" <cmue81 at gmx.de>
> Cc: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools" <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Betreff: Re: [Tagging] how to map simple buildings
>
> do I understand you correctly, we use 1 way (or multipolygon) for every
> building:part plus 1 multipolygon relation with building=* as a [legacy]
> plus 1 type=building relation for every single building? That's a lot of
> stuff, but it sounds reasonable in order to map everything in an
> unambiguous way.

Yes, but you only need to do it for buildings with more than one part.

For non-complex buildings 1 MP relation holding all tags may suffice.
(or even a single closed way, if none of its segments ought to take
part in definition of adjacent areas)

There are a lot of aspects of the simple building model with room for
improvement. Among them the most important: documentation in the wiki.
It looks unfinished and could benefit a lot from additional examples.

Cheers