[Tagging] how to map simple buildings

"Christian Müller" cmue81 at gmx.de
Sat Mar 4 20:41:46 UTC 2017

> Gesendet: Samstag, 04. März 2017 um 21:21 Uhr
> Von: "Tobias Knerr" <osm at tobias-knerr.de>
> An: tagging at openstreetmap.org
> Betreff: Re: [Tagging] how to map simple buildings
>
> And probably a few more. None of these requires relations.

I'm sure there is a lot of stuff in OSM where you could
trade code against a relation.  But most of the time it
introduces dependencies: on caching, on people that still
understand what they did, etc. pp.  Explicit definition
can, even when they are strictly redundant, stabilize
otherwise fragile data that is prone to various errors.

> > Yet they may ease maintenance
> > work for oneself and other mappers, since they usually convey an overview
> > of all the parts present. But of course it depends on mapping workflow if
> > this is true to a particular mapper.
>
> While there are mappers who love using relations as part of their
> workflow, the relatively low usage numbers of the building relation (and
> other optional relations) strongly suggest that this preference is not
> shared by the majority of mappers.

You already had made a clear point of your aversion to them in your
last mail, thanks.  But I doubt you can speak for the majority of
mappers or deduct a general behavior in this early stage for a method
of mapping that's still spreading and open for discussion.

Greetings