[Tagging] Discouraging frequency=* on power lines and cables

Fran├žois Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 14:18:26 UTC 2017

Hi,

frequency=* tag aims to qualify active elements on telecom or power
networks (among others, see wiki
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:frequency)

I see it as an optional property of power lines or cables.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:power%3Dline

In practice, a physical line/cable section isn't operated at, nor designed
for, any dedicated frequency but it's all about the supported power circuit
(a logical relation going from a place to another place through the grid).
It always exists if line is actually powered on.
We use to map such logical circuits with route=power relations where
frequency is more relevant.

Can we drop frequency on power lines and cables wiki page ?
It can't be guess by looking at the line (instead of voltage) in landscape
and there may be inconsistencies between circuits relations and lines
members.

If no further comments, i'll remove this option in 15 days for the above
reason.

All the best

Fran├žois