[Tagging] Discouraging frequency=* on power lines and cables

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Wed Mar 8 15:08:35 UTC 2017

On 08.03.2017 15:18, Fran├žois Lacombe wrote:
> frequency=* tag aims to qualify active elements on telecom or power
> networks (among others, see wiki
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:frequency)
>
> I see it as an optional property of power lines or cables.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:power%3Dline
>
> In practice, a physical line/cable section isn't operated at, nor
> designed for, any dedicated frequency but it's all about the supported
> power circuit (a logical relation going from a place to another place
> through the grid). It always exists if line is actually powered on.
> We use to map such logical circuits with route=power relations where
> frequency is more relevant.
>
> Can we drop frequency on power lines and cables wiki page ?
> It can't be guess by looking at the line (instead of voltage) in
> landscape and there may be inconsistencies between circuits relations
> and lines members.
>
> If no further comments, i'll remove this option in 15 days for the above
> reason.

The wiki documents for what particular tags are for. This tag is used
826577 times, so this documentation is essential.

Also, we normally do not delete wiki pages at all. The process would be
to discourage or deprecate the tag, however the reasons you gave above
are very weak for me.

frequency=16.7 is used a lot on railway networks where it is clearly
distinguished from the 50 (Europe) or 60 (America) Hz regular energy
distribution.

frequency=0 (used on 35% of the tags) means DC power which is used on
specific railways, and could also apply to DC distribution networks that
I vaguely remember are constructed differently from traditional
50/60Hz-Networks.

tom