[Tagging] Positioning motorway exits

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 17:33:08 UTC 2017

At present we have many different approaches out in the field, which make
life difficult to any routing software.
I notice that we have another option, which I have not seen implemented in
the database,  i.e. to place the exit tag on the highway at the position of
the  last corresponding road sign before the actual split. This would
require on-the ground knowledge or Mapillary/OpenStreetCam photos. It would
also mean that the exit tag is not necessarily on the actual road split on
the map. And it would require a lot of retrofitting work based
on-the-ground checks.
It would be in line with the wiki for "highway=motorway_junction", which
states "This node should be positioned as the last point before the splay
at which it is still possible to make a smooth turn."