[Tagging] Discouraging frequency=* on power lines and cables

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 21:55:27 UTC 2017

On 09-Mar-17 03:19 AM, Fran├žois Lacombe wrote:
> Hi Tom,

> <mailto:t.pfeifer at computer.org>>:
>

>     The wiki documents for what particular tags are for. This tag is
>     used 826577 times, so this documentation is essential.
>
>     Also, we normally do not delete wiki pages at all. The process
>     would be to discourage or deprecate the tag, however the reasons
>     you gave above are very weak for me.
>
> My point wasn't to delete any page but to remove frequency=* as a
> possible tag for power lines.
>

>     frequency=16.7 is used a lot on railway networks where it is
>     clearly distinguished from the 50 (Europe) or 60 (America) Hz
>     regular energy distribution.
>
>     frequency=0 (used on 35% of the tags) means DC power which is used
>     on specific railways, and could also apply to DC distribution
>     networks that I vaguely remember are constructed differently from
>     traditional 50/60Hz-Networks.
>

> I didn't say frequency isn't used but it is actually misused.
> Frequency refers to power routes, not physical power lines

While the lines themselves don't have a frequency (well there are limits
as to what they will take) themselves, as you say the supporting
infrastructure (transformers, generators etc) have a nominal frequency.

If you want include a statement that power distribution lines themselves
do not require a tag of frequency but relationships that have those
lines as members should have a tag of frequency?
Is that what you are after? Do remember that the wiki is a guide, not
rules... try not to be pedantic.