[Tagging] Discouraging frequency=* on power lines and cables

Fran├žois Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 16:19:29 UTC 2017

Hi Tom,

> The wiki documents for what particular tags are for. This tag is used
> 826577 times, so this documentation is essential.
>
> Also, we normally do not delete wiki pages at all. The process would be to
> discourage or deprecate the tag, however the reasons you gave above are
> very weak for me.

My point wasn't to delete any page but to remove frequency=* as a possible
tag for power lines.

> frequency=16.7 is used a lot on railway networks where it is clearly
> distinguished from the 50 (Europe) or 60 (America) Hz regular energy
> distribution.
>
> frequency=0 (used on 35% of the tags) means DC power which is used on
> specific railways, and could also apply to DC distribution networks that I
> vaguely remember are constructed differently from traditional
> 50/60Hz-Networks.

I didn't say frequency isn't used but it is actually misused.
Frequency refers to power routes, not physical power lines

Example :
A 400 kV 50Hz route : http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6359644
Which has lines as members : http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/41773490
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/41828020 where frequency isn't mentioned.

If a 16.7 Hz line would have shared same sections, the relation would have
frequency=16.7 and line sections wouldn't.

All the best