[Tagging] simple 3D buildings, proposed redefinition of building:levels and building:min_level for building:part

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Mar 9 18:39:23 UTC 2017

> building:levels - building:min_level < 0
> yes: new
> no: old

I believe you are mistaken here. Consider the following example:

building:levels = 2
building:min_level = 1

According to the Simple 3D Buildings standard, this means that there is
a building part with one "real" level. According to your idea, there
would be two "real" levels. And there's no way to tell which
interpretation was intended by the mapper.

Your proposed change would, therefore, make data mapped using these keys
mostly useless due to the unresolvable ambiguity. In my opinion, that
kind of cost is not worth it.