[Tagging] NEW APPROACH : Feature Proposal tag "motorcycle friendly" for accomodations

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 20:55:09 UTC 2017

On 09-Mar-17 10:48 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> <mailto:thaug at gmx.de>>:
>
>     Is there any "basic info" I should read ?
>

> frankly I don't know. The wiki is so huge, nobody has ever read it
> completely ;-)
>
> There are a some references to tagging here:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Any_tags_you_like
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Verifiability
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Joto/How_to_invent_tags
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Duck_tagging
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tagging

There are many different tagging methods in OSM. And no universal view
as to what is best.
Unfortunately that is a failing of the 'any tags you like', it is also a
strength in that you can immediately tag something for which there is no
existing tag - you simply make one up.
Any tag that is 'made up' on the spot may not be a great tag, it will do
until something better comes along.
I think any tag that is made up on the spot needs (later) to be
discussed, improved if possible and then documented.

Welcome to the struggle of getting better tags. There are many different
views ... pick the best for you.