[Tagging] Fwd: Feature Proposal - Voting - tag "motorcycle friendly" for accomodations

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 23:02:49 UTC 2017

On 07-Mar-17 10:56 PM, Thilo Haug wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> thanks to Martin for the clarification.
>
> In the discussion of the (former voted) wiki entry :
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:motorcycle_friendly
>
> I referred to the definition of the German automobile club :
>
> 8X-----------
> The German automobile club has the following criteria :
>
>   * (Theft) safe and secure motorcycle parking areas.
>   * Facilities for wet clothes.
>   * Tools for minor repairs
>   * Extensive information material (including tour suggestions,
>     excursion tips, road maps, useful addresses for motorcyclists)
>
> https://www.adac.de/reise_freizeit/motorrad/motorradfreundliche-gastgeber/qualitaetssiegel/default.aspx
> 8X-----------
>
> Those four points should be given if an item is categorized as "yes".

You will get few that meet all of these criteria on a worldwide basis.
The proposal looks like it is a requirement to meet all 4 of these
criteria.

In some climates wet weather is a lesser concern, so wet clothing
facilities are less frequently used and as such stored out of the way -
thus less obvious.
'Extensive' is a subjective term.
The word 'including' means that all these things are required to meet
the criteria.
The words 'for example' could replace 'including' to allow a few of
these things or other things to be used to meet the criteria.

> "No" means they don't accept motorcyclists (seldom, but exists).

I would take a broader view. I would take 'no' to mean 'discourages' as
well as the meaning 'rejects'.

> As there are certainly accommodations
> which just don't care about your means of transport,
> there is also a third option, which I called "customary",
> as this categorization is already in use (for nudism)
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:nudism#Tagging

The meaning of 'customary' is 'usual practice' ... what your proposal
takes as 'customary' is a lesser friendliness that the 'yes' case. This
is not the meaning of the word 'customary'! And it is confusing to a
native English speaker.
Do not use this word this way.

A better word might be 'partial', meaning 'not total, but a bit'.

> So I think the criteria is quite clear and not "opinionated".
> In case the description could be improved, please let me know in the
> "discussion" :
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/motorcycle_friendly#Proposal

Discussion can also take place here, and you should observe these too.